Here we go again – for the third time I’m honored to have the opportunity to partner with Musana as part of the VBS team!
So… what is Musana?
In 2008, students from the University of Colorado visited Uganda on a summer trip. While they were there they saw an orphanage housing over 150 children in awful conditions. They decided they had to do something, and later that year Musana Children’s Home was established. That’s where it started, but it’s become so much more!!
Today, Musana Community Development Organization provides
- employment for over 70 Ugandan staff,
- education at Musana school for nursery and primary school children (their site says 650 right now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s 800 by June…),
- clean water to hundreds near the Musana school through a community bore hole,
- medical attention to vulnerable children in dire health/disability situations,
- micro loans, local employment, and skill development to lift families out of poverty with dignity,
- community seminars and workshops,
!! AND !!
- opened a community health center on February 20, 2016,
- has begun construction of a secondary school and technical school – scheduled to open in 2017,
!! AND !!
- covers 89% of their expenses through their own local businesses and sustainability projects! Looking at solely their social enterprises without the outreach expenditures, at the end of 2015 they were 110% sustainable!!!
Through all they do, Musana aims to eliminate dependency by empowering the Ugandan people to create real, long-term change in Uganda.
(If you didn’t try clicking some of those many many links, you definitely should!)
Sound exciting? I think so! And you can be a part of it!
I’m looking to build a team of people to support me and the team that’s going with financial gifts and prayer. I have to raise $2900 before we leave on June 15th. That’s a lot of money, but every little bit helps. God has proved himself faithful, providing more than enough support these last two years and I know if he’s calling me back this year that he can do it again.
Cash or check donations can be mailed to Flatirons Community Church, 355 West South Boulder Road, Lafayette CO 80026. Make checks out to Flatirons Community Church, and be sure to include “Musana VBS – Alissa” in the memo line – or in an attached note if sending cash. (Or hand it to me to save a stamp! I will gladly come pick it up in person – as long as you live within 50 miles of Boulder, Colorado…)
Credit card donations can be made online at Service Reef. Please note that there is a 5% fee associated with Service Reef, so I will get 95 cents from each dollar if you choose to donate this way.
Even if you can’t support me financially, prayers are always needed! Pray for us to have hearts open to listening to and learning from and loving our friends in Uganda. Pray for our fundraising, team-building, and the work we’ll be doing there. And through it all, pray that God may be glorified.
Want to read all my Musana-related blog posts? Click here.
Want to see a video of the 2014 team and the kids having a dance party at Musana? Click here.
Want to see my 2015 support letter? Click here.
Want to see my 2014 support letter? Click here.